Students are responsible for completing homeworkto the best of their ability each night.
Homework Log Grade 2*Each week, students are responsible for completing homework Monday-Thursday nights. Students will complete meaningful Reading or Math Facts practice (on alternating weeks) each night, as well as practice current Spelling patterns. At the end of practice each night, students should fill in the box on the Homework Log to tell about what they accomplished. All boxes should be initialed by an adult.***The homework log is passed in on Friday morning.Reading Practice:
- The goal of this homework format is to focus on building the most foundational skills for reading and math. When students have flexibilty and time built in to read each night, they will be more likely to view reading as fun and relaxing. Students should aim to read "Good Fit" books, that are not too hard to read and understand, but also that are not too easy. Students can read alone, with a friend or family member, and should be able to talk about what they have read.
- Our goal is to practice our basic facts, improving strategies and speed. This foundational skill allows for students to tackle all kinds of math problems. Our focus in second grade is on addition and subtraction facts within 20. Flash cards, quick mental math games, and verbal math fact practice are a few ideas to get started with!
- Along with the reading or math practice each night, students should spend a few minutes reading, writing, and practicing the current Spelling pattern for the week. Instead of having a list of 15 spelling words each week to be memorized and tested, the goal is for students to focus more on the actual spelling and phonics pattern, in order to be able to flexibly apply that pattern to an array of words when reading and writing.
- Each week, students will be provided with the pattern and a few words to follow it. There will also be a list of suggested fun activities to help with practice. This practice at home will support the instruction and practice in class.
- I will check in with each student throughout the week to assess their understanding of the current pattern. However, there will be no formal Spelling test on Friday. If I notice that a student is struggling with a specific pattern, we can work together in class.
The goal is that all students will use their time each night in a meaningful way! Please reach out with any questions!