We will start trimester 1 reading the novel Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Patterson.
Students will be able to…
- Identify plot, character, and theme
- Recognize words and conventions not used in everyday life
- Determine how literature represents the human experience
- Analyze character traits
- Identify how characters change over time
- Compare and contrast
- Summarize, predict, connect, interpret, and make inferences
- Identify, understand, and use figurative language
- Infer a character’s feeling and fears through his/her actions and thoughts
Jess Aarons has been practicing all summer so he can be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. And he almost is, until the new girl in school, Leslie Burke, outpaces him. The two become fast friends and spend most days in the woods behind Leslie’s house, where they invent an enchanted land called Terabithia. One morning, Leslie goes to Terabithia without Jess and a tragedy occurs. It will take the love of his family and the strength that Leslie has given him for Jess to be able to deal with his grief.
Use the following links to listen to chapters in Bridge to Terabithia. This may be helpful for homework assignments!