The B.H. Wood School has transitioned to the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks for Mathematics, Incorporating the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. This framework for student learning includes both Content Standards and Standards for Mathematical Practice. The Standards for Mathematical Practice are incorporated into all lessons and activities while students investigate the content standards.
The Standards for Mathematical Practice are as follows:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriately tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
The topics that students in fifth grade will be studying include:
Place Value of Whole of Whole Numbers and Decimals
Orders of Operation
Operations with Fractions
Throughout all units students will be writing about their mathematical learning. Our focus will be on writing mathemaical justifications. Please see the scoring rubric below.