David P. Raiche
September 15, 2020
Good afternoon Plainville Parents and Guardians:
I hope our families have been able to enjoy a few restful moments over the past few weeks. Tomorrow all classroom teachers, both in-person and remote, will reach out to their students and families with a zoom invitation for a Wednesday morning meet and greet session from 9 AM to 10 AM.
On Thursday, September 17, 2020 all cohort “A” and “C” students will report to school. Cohort “B” students can access their learning remotely as this is a day of school for all students. On Friday, September 18, 2020 all students in cohorts “B” and “C” will report to school. Cohort “A” students can access their learning remotely as this is also a day of school for all students. Please note that cohort “C” students will attend in-person classes on both days. Remote only students will receive remote instruction on both days, too, however, from home.
This year arrival and dismissal procedures have also changed. Walkers at each school should arrive between 8:40 AM and 8:50 AM, but no earlier due to social distancing. When you arrive, you will be directed to the specific entrance used by your grade level.
Bus drop off for K-6 students is scheduled for 8:40 AM to 8:50 AM in front of each building. Two (2) buses at a time will be unloaded and students will enter the building through their specified door.
Parent drop off for K-6 students is scheduled for 8:50 AM to 9:00 AM. Kindergarten and grade 1 parents should drop off in front of Jackson School and grade 2 and 3 parents should drop off on the gymnasium side of Jackson School (same as drop off in the past). Grade 4 to 6 parents should drop off in front of Wood School (the bus driveway) as compared to the circular driveway. Please note that parent drop off follows bus drop off so parents should not enter the drop off area until all buses have departed.
All students are reminded to wear masks upon arrival (via walking, bus, or car). I would also suggest that all students bring an extra mask, just in case.
In addition to arrival, dismissal procedures have changed, too. Parent pick up in the afternoon for grades K to 6 is scheduled to take place between 2:40 PM and 3:00 PM. Parents, please pick up your child in the same area as you dropped him/her off in the morning. Bus pick up will follow parent pick up starting at 3:00 PM and continue until 3:15 PM. For afternoon dismissal students will exit their assigned doors and board the bus or enter their car. Students will be wearing masks when they depart the building and will be expected to keep them on if riding the bus.
Additional information pertaining to preschool and kindergarten drop off and pick up will be sent out later this week since classes in those grades start next Monday, September 21, 2020.
Please note these additional changes:
Both schools are now “nut free”. All lunches and snacks need to be nut free as students will not be eating in the cafeteria.
- All students are asked to bring water with them as the water fountains will not be used.
- Please remind your child/children to charge their devices each night so they are ready for the morning whether being used at home or being brought to school.
- Please remind your child/children to dress in layers as windows will remain open for maximum fresh air circulation.
- Please have your child/children label any materials they are carrying to and from school.
Lunch and snack will be held outside as much as possible, weather permitting. Students are asked to bring a towel that they can sit on outside. Towels cannot be shared. Please note that the PTO will soon be holding a fundraiser selling COVID gear and stadium seats. In addition, I am pleased to announce that the USDA extended the lunch program waiver through December 31, 2020. As a result, all students are eligible to receive a free breakfast and a free lunch daily. Breakfast will be available at each grade level entrance upon arrival. Lunch will be provided to each grade level pod and will be consumed in students’ respective classrooms or outside. Additional lunch details will be emailed later today by Food Service Director Maura Crowley. Please note that in addition to preparing in-person lunches each day the food services staff will also prepare lunches for interested students at home. These lunches can be picked up daily between 10:30 AM and 12:00 PM on the side of Wood School closest to the gymnasium.
In addition to wearing face masks please make sure to remind your child/children that handwashing will occur at school throughout the day, much like it has occurred at home. It will happen upon arrival, before and after snack and lunch, throughout the day and when preparing for dismissal.
Each morning please make sure to ask your child the following questions and/or look for the following:
Do you have any of the following symptoms?:
Cough; Sore Throat; Rapid or Difficult Breathing; Flushed Cheeks (if coupled with another symptom); Diarrhea, Nausea, Vomiting; Fatigue (if coupled with another symptom); Headache; New Loss of Smell/Taste; New Muscle Aches
Also, has your child had contact with someone in the previous 14 days with a confirmed or presumptive diagnosis of Covid-19?
If yes, please keep your child home. If no, we look forward to working with your child.
And, finally, bus assignments will be emailed to you after today’s meeting with the bus drivers. If by some chance you have changed your mind regarding bus transportation, please call the Jackson or Wood School office (508.699.1304 for Jackson School and 508.699.1312 for Wood School).
Thank you, once again, for your patience, and we look forward to our first day with students.
David P. Raiche, Superintendent of Schools
General Information For Parents
- ReEntry Plan for 2020 2021
- School Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Health and Safety Protocols
- Covid-19 Related Protocols
- ReOpening Plan Presented on August 6 2020
- Family Survey on Reopening Plans 8 4 2020
- Staff Survey on Reopening Plans 8 4 2020
- Preliminary School Reopening Plan
- Annual Asbestos Notification
- Summer Meal Program Available at King Philip High School
- DESE Family Letter dated May 8 2002
- School Closure Extended Through End of Academic Year
- Supt Memo to Parents on State Plan for Remote Learning March 30 2020
- Letter from DESE Commissioner Jeff Riley - March 30
- School District Update - March 27
- Regional Immediate Press Release - March 25
- Coronavirus Update March 16: Town Buildings Closed to the Public
- Regional Immediate Press Release - March 16
- Regional Immediate Press Release - March 13
- March 11th Message from the Supt of Schools
- COVID-19 Printable Fact Sheets from Mass.gov (available in multiple languages)
- March 9th Message from the Supt of Schools
- Guidance for Keeping Workplace, School and Home Safe
- Important Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Talking to Children about Violence